Follow the restoration of a 1949 3800 Chevrolet Dual Rear Wheel Flatbed Truck.
Pictures located at http://s422.photobucket.com/home/jongersbach

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Slow go....

Well, not sure anyone is following this anymore, if anyone ever was.  Working on the truck has been stalled since the last update.  A change in careers, building two businesses, and raising two kiddos has kept me from working on my truck.  One challenge has been that one business is a corn seed agency that requires the use of my enclosed shop, and subsequently my workspace, for about 5 months out of the year.  So all projects get evicted around new years, and can usually come back in around June 1.  Problem with that is there are usually 2-3 projects that get bumped ahead, so truck is definitely on the back burner.

I have acquired a few items that I will need along the way so I'm not completely stalled.  I managed to find a very straight grill from a restorer who was moving away from ADs and going to different models.  Paid more than I wanted to, but it was straight.  So I bit the bullet and paid the money.  I also ran across a deal on some 2x10 lumber that I plan to use for the flatbed.  ACP treated Southern Yellow Pine.  I think by the time that I get to the step of building the bed, the lumber will be well dried and easy to work.  It will at least have been through enough weather changes to demonstrate any issues that it may have.  I also managed a few 2x6s and some 5/4 decking boards, although I'm not sure they will work as they may be a bit short, but would work for across the back.  This assumes it doesn't get poached for my kiddos treehouse they have been wanting.  I still want to build it with white oak, but finding a supplier has been difficult.  Only oak I can find is cabinet grade, and I'm not going that route.

One other project that has been on the to do list for about 5 years is moving my big air compressor to the shop, and plumbing the inside and outside of the shop for compressed air.  I finally wrapped that one up and crossed it off the list.  So having a high capacity air compressor and adequate air lines will make the disassembly, rebuild, and reassembly much easier.  

So looking forward, I'm going to focus on the frame this spring while the shop is otherwise occupied.  I plan to work on getting the frame together.  First will be to swap out the rear end with a 4.10 unit I acquired a while back.  New seals on the axles and it will be ready to run down the road at a little more desirable clip.  Then disassemble the few remaining items that need to come off, such as brake lines, bushings, and a few other loose pieces.  Then get the rust off and everything cleaned up.  Shoot it with 2 coats epoxy primer, and 2 coats of black chassis paint.  New rubber bushings everywhere and get it back together.  Then I can drop the engine and transmission back in.  Free up some floor space and get a little closer to the finish line.

Well that is all for now.  Time to get back to work making the money to keep the lights on and a little extra to spend on projects.  Still cheaper than therapy!

No comments:

Post a Comment