Follow the restoration of a 1949 3800 Chevrolet Dual Rear Wheel Flatbed Truck.
Pictures located at http://s422.photobucket.com/home/jongersbach

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Wow! Almost a year since my last post!

Decided to post an update while I'm waiting to receive some paperwork.  Opened it up and was shocked.  8 days away from 1 year since the last post.  Of course, nothing really new to report. 

I've tinkered around some with my truck.  Worked on getting the frame mostly stripped and ready for the sandblaster.  Today I actually pulled the rear differential cover to let the gear oil drain out before I pop the third member out.  I was pleasantly surprised with the condition of the fluid.  Smelled nasty, gear oil always does, but wasn't burnt or milky.  So no signs of issues with the current third member.  Really doesn't matter as I'm replacing it with a higher gear ratio, and the condition of that third member remains to be seen.  Visually it is fine.  But what will happen when it gets in the truck I don't know. 

Drew up a rough plan and material list for my bed.  That one will be the last piece of the puzzle.  I did however pick up two boxes of wood screws at home depot on clearance.  I guess they are changing companies.  The box of screws would have been $30/box regularly.  Bought two boxes for less than the original price of 1.  I think I may need to go back and pick up a couple more.  Ugly mustard color, but the bed will get painted so it won't matter.  They are torx head, which isn't exactly something that would have been around in '49, but I love working with them in wood projects. 

Have my sandblaster lined up.  He is a client who I helped sell his mothers house.  They do a lot of tractor restoration and have a good setup.  It will cost me a little in sand, but that is it.  Only catch will be waiting until he has a free day where he isn't in the field planting or managing a crop, that is also a pretty dry day, and I can hit the frame with epoxy immediately so no new rust forms.  

Well that is all for now.  Guess it's time to get back to the grind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment