Follow the restoration of a 1949 3800 Chevrolet Dual Rear Wheel Flatbed Truck.
Pictures located at http://s422.photobucket.com/home/jongersbach

Friday, April 22, 2011

They call me Charile. Charlie Atlas.

Well Gentlemen,today my question was answered.  How many men does it take to remove a cab from a frame?  A question I had asked many and none would venture a guess.  But they all agreed, not by ones' self. And most said not without mechanical lifting aids such as cherry pickers, block & tackle, A-frame, or gin poles.

So in final preparation to remove the donor cab, I needed to remove the pitman arm so that the steering box and mast could be removed so the cab could clear.  I anticipated a battle royale simply to remove the pitman arm.  The last one that I removed broke the pitman arm puller and required the entire steering box removed and the pitman arm cut off with a cutting wheel.  This was on an 8 year old truck.  62 years old, and it slid right off.  So following that and the removal of the steering box/mast, I was ready to call the manly forces and lift it up and off, with nothing but muscle and testosterone. 

Now I wish that I could say that what happened next was the simple manifestation of Charlie Atlas, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Popeye, the Incredible Hulk, and Superman, but....well, I think it has more to do with Sir Issac Newton than Charlie Atlas.  And a little touch of Bohemian ingenuity.

I started to lift and rock and shift the cab around to ensure that I had not missed any connecting points/wires, etc.  Didn't want the help having to stand around drinking beers while I figured out what was keeping it tethered to the frame.  Rock, tip, lift, push, shove.  And before I knew it, the cab was half off.  So, without the details (it all happened quickly and without incident) because frankly, not sure how it happened, the cab is now hanging out nicely beside the frame, on the ground, without tipping or damage.  Smooth as silk.  And to think, I almost bought the beer for the help.  Now could you get one back on by yourself, no.  Gravity usually only helps one way.  But it did help the cab find its way off the frame and onto the ground.




Guess it is true, milk does do a body good!

No comments:

Post a Comment