Follow the restoration of a 1949 3800 Chevrolet Dual Rear Wheel Flatbed Truck.
Pictures located at http://s422.photobucket.com/home/jongersbach

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Latest work

Well, following a much needed and welcomed break from reality, I have returned.  My lovely wife and I took a 7 day cruise and realized that we really love being treated like royalty, or at least what I would imagine.  I went 26 years without making my bed on a regular basis, and on the ship it was made at least 4 times daily by our room steward, not to mention the towel animal and constant refill of the ice bucket. 

Prior to leaving, a few minor items were finished up in a few spare minutes.  The rear mount of the donor cab was completely removed.  Also, I was finally able to figure out exactly how to pull the stick shift out.  Thanks to the tremendous genius that resides at www.stovebolt.com, I was able to learn that there are two small lugs on either side of the transmission that, when turned 1/4 turn, they loosen a cap that covers the stick opening and with a little wiggling and holding your tounge and mouth just right, will slide right out.  Steering box is loose as is the pitman arm nut.  Will be returning soon with a pitman arm puller, and we should be ready to remove. 

Called around and picked up a few quotes on getting the cab sandblasted, and it sounds like the two places that were interested in doing business needed to see the cab to make an accurate assessment, and the other one was "not interested".  Oh well.  I have learned that bbq guys, taxidermists, metal sign makers and sandblasters like to be paid in cash, and are willing to negotiate a little more if they know up front how payment is coming.  So when I pull it off the frame, I'm putting it straight on the trailer and we are going to go ride around town and get a few quotes.  Why sandblasting you ask?  One, I want to start fresh, without worry of a tiny speck of rust hiding out.  Two, because I don't want to find out after the fact that the paint chemistries disagreed and are locked in an epic battle.  And three, it just makes for a nice, clean canvas to start work on.  Furthermore, no one has volunteered a plastic container large enough for me to dip the cab into so that I could run electrolysis on it. 

So for right now, it is waiting until the pitman is off, call the heavy artilliary, and see if we can get this cab lifted off.  Beyond that, I have a cherry picker and an engine stand lined up, so I believe it won't be very long and the engine will be out and the engine will be the next component to be spitshined and polished. 

Hopefully next weekend I'll get a chunk of time to work on things.  I'm on the cusp.  I just need to pull the trigger and line it up.  My buddy Bradley wanted to sponsor the truck in the annual 4th of July Parade to advertise his business.  I told him that he needed to define "sponsor" because the more funds that I had available, the faster the restoration would go.  Apparently, he was talking about paying the entry fee and the fuel.  Which at the rate we are going, may be a small fortune just in gas! 

Also, on a related sidebar -  I have decided that I want to drive faster than 40mph with the pedal to the floor, so I am on the hunt for a different gear ratio rear end than the 5.14:1 that is currently in the pumpkin.  I understand that 3/4 ton 67-72 chevys with factory automatics have 4.10:1 rear ends that the entire third member bolts in.  Please may I be so lucky.  60 w/o being at the very top end of the motor.  Yes, Thank you.

More to come on that. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello John, I wish I lived closer. I could use some parts off your donor cab. Joe R. (Amtrakjoe on Stovebolt). Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you need? I bet UPS could get them to you.

    ReplyDelete