Follow the restoration of a 1949 3800 Chevrolet Dual Rear Wheel Flatbed Truck.
Pictures located at http://s422.photobucket.com/home/jongersbach

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Busy days, lots accomplished

Well, the past couple of days were very productive.  Finally, progress.  After a long and busy stock show season, I was able to take off on Friday without any major projects looming that had to be completed immediately.  So I dedicated the day to the restoration.

First, I have determined that it will be in my best interest to swap cabs, as the original had way to many "love dents" to make the restoration the way that I want, and to keep the bondo at a minimum.  So....work shifted to prepping the donor cab for the swap.  I had the fortune of buying a '48 6400 almost for the price of hauling it away.  I thought I had found the 1 ton that I was looking for, just north of Dallas. 

Upon arrival, and further inspection, and some knowledge later, it turned out to be a big bolt (1-1/2 ton or larger) and decided to pass.  Everything is just more expensive and much harder to find.  Well, the guy had the truck parked at his dads, and he HOA was on his tail to get it GONE!  When I started to walk away, he said what would it take to haul it away.  I looked at it and said, it's worth $200 to me.  His answer to that was, let me help you load it! 

Consequently, it has turned out to be a great move.  Sold the front fenders almost immediately for $75 each, and the front bumper and splash apron for another $75.  So I am back in the money on it.  Plus I still have lots of stuff to pick from it, not to mention the value simply as scrap.

Beyond that, I have robbed the seat bottom that is covered, a coil, distributor, and gauges to restore in advance of the restoration, and a fuel pump to test if mine was kaput. 

Turns out that on my 49, the drivers door hinges were sprung at some point in its life (on almost every one!) and the drivers door was injured as well.  However the 49 passenger door is in near perfect shape, except for one small dent.  On the 48 donor, the drivers door was damaged, but the passengers door is perfect.  So the doors were removed, and the great swap-a-roo will begin.  Not to mention scavenging the parts from the doors that are useable in other areas, or easy to sell (and ship) on eBay!  That problem solved.

Turning to the cab....donor cab - had clearance lights on the roof.  I'm on the fence about adding them to the one ton, but will probably not because they were not there to begin with, even though modern 1 tons come with them.  So 9 small screw holes to fix.  One dent in the back of the cab, and easy to repair.  In fact, those are the only issues that I have found of much consequence, well, except for a few extra holes from a mirror and what I presume were CB/radio antennas.  With one exception, major rust damage to the floorboard.  How they kept this cab as clean and straight as they did, yet let the floorboard rot to absolutely nothing is beyond me.  At any rate, I'm gonna need a floorboard. 

So after fighting with removing the doors, which was a chore, I turned to getting ready to pull the cab.  Here comes the first issue.  Had to remove the two front body mounts, which are 1/2" bolts between the floor and the frame.  Rusted on, but removable.  Done.  Move to the back mount.  Now I knew that somewhere in 48/49, they went from a 3 point mounting cab to a 4 point cab. 

Well, my 48 cab is a 3 point, and the 49 is a 4 point.  But I feel confident that all it will take to make it work will be a little R&R on the 49's cab mount shackles, and some reinforcing to the 48 cab mounting points.  Issue two, that may be a larger concern, but not a deal breaker, is the fuel tank mounting.  The 48 used an outside the framerail tank.  In  49 they went to a behind the seat tank. 

Well, lets just say there is extra stuff back there That impedes the installation of the tank.  Some braces and extra stuff, but again, borrowing from the 49, and a little work with the cutoff wheel, should be in business. 

So for removal of cab mounting point #3.  So I grab a few wrenches and wiggle underneath the truck.  Mind you, its out behind the barn in weeds.  I crawl up and loosen two bolts.  These are the ones that mount the cab mount to the frame crossmember.  No luck, top of bolt is spinning above with no way to access to hold.  Idea #2, a bolt that goes crossways which hold the bottom of the mount to the top, basically connecting the two pieces. 

Well, it was quiet, and I started to hear some light humming.  More of a buzzing.  Mind you I'm under the truck and it is dark.  I look up into a cavity in the mount and see the slight outline of something red and unhappy.  Red Hornet.  Now, I don't mind yellowjackets, but those red hornets are twice as big and much more grouchy.  So from that it looked like it was over.  Had to go pick up another wrench at the shop, and returned with a can of brake cleaner. 

I figured after looking at the ingredient list - methanol, acetone, isopopanol - that it would burn the wings off those suckers.  Insert straw, and press.  Well, they were not immediately immobilized, only irritated and came out pissed.  I remembered how fast this fat boy can get out of tight spots. 

Eventually, they cleared out and I fought a few off and removed the last of the bolt.  Bu alas, its stuck as well.  So I have to figure out exactly how to remove that mount, or else at last resort, grind it off.

Spent a little more time working on removing wires and pedals and other items that would otherwise tether the cab to the frame and motor.  All that I lack now is to pull the steering mast and figure out how to remove the stick shift so the cab will lift out easier without having to raise as high.

Took a break for lunch and returned to pick a few more parts that were in the way and take some more mental notes.  I then turned to starting to get the 49 cab ready for the same removal.  I removed the transmission cover (did I mention the 48 had a finely crafted custom cover fashioned from sheet metal and tin snips).  I started the truck, let it run for a while, pulled it forward and moved it into a better position to continue to work on. 

I am still at a loss for how to pull the cabs.  I am leaning to borrowing or building an A-frame to hoist the cabs off, but I don't have concrete to roll it off, and at least one of the trucks doesn't exactly roll.  I could bum a forklift or a skid steer, and while fast and easy, takes a lot of orchestration and requires calling in several favors.  My third and least favored but most likely option involves plain and simple brute strength.  A few guys, gloves, and a case of beer.  Still on the drawing board on that one. 

There were a few other smaller things that were done, but this gets the gist of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment