Follow the restoration of a 1949 3800 Chevrolet Dual Rear Wheel Flatbed Truck.
Pictures located at http://s422.photobucket.com/home/jongersbach

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I love girls night!

Was awesome tonight.  My wife and her friends have started doing a once a month "girls night out" so that means that I get a night all to myself once a month.  So,  after spraying around the shop and farmyard for weeds, and a few other necessary items, I got a little truck time in. 

Ground down the welds on the back bumper of the truck so it just looks cleaner and more straight.  Then ground off the bolts holding on the running boards.  Both of those were adventures, because I have been very concerned about setting the grass on fire.  But no fires were set, and all was good.  I have decided that I will be swapping out cabs, because the one from my donor parts truck is just in much better shape.  This should be exciting.  I was going to pull one off so I could get the frame, motor, and tranny cleaned up and painted.  So I guess I'll be pulling two cabs.  Ah well, one cab, two cabs.  Shouldn't be much extra work. 

Following the evaluation of the doors on both cabs, one truck has a pristine drivers door, while the others is shot.  Conversely, the door on the 3800 on the passengers side is in great shape, and the donor has a pretty big dent.  So, I guess I couldn't have planned that any better.  Further, this cab has no dents in the roof, back, or a sprung cowl panel on either side.  Kind of ironic that a 2 ton truck had a nearly dentless body.  Would have thought it would be worse off. 

Drawbacks, a few extra holes in the dash, holes in the roof from clearance lights, and a completely rotted floorboard.  But, I can fill the dash holes, and as for the floor....well, lets just say that my friend the floormat will go a long ways to help me out there. 

So after the evaluation of the doors, I decided to attempt to take the drivers door off the donor.  Lets just say, it is going to require a little more persuasion to get the bolts out.  Following that I came home and cut a slit in the tailpipe to prepare to clamp down onto the muffler, and cleaned up and painted a new gas filler nozzle that is rusted out. 

Hopefully, this weekend I will get a chance for some more stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment