Follow the restoration of a 1949 3800 Chevrolet Dual Rear Wheel Flatbed Truck.
Pictures located at http://s422.photobucket.com/home/jongersbach

Saturday, April 30, 2011

quick update, can't stay long....

After a few nights of studying and tinkering and preparing, today marked the day that the engine was coming out.  Last night, I ground the nut holding the rear motor mounts to the transmission crossmember, then disconnected almost everything that I could see would bind the motors removal.  Determined that the remainder would be much better achieved in the light, so all work was postponed until after lunch. I had to work this morning, so after lunch was as fast as I could return to it.

So with a little carrot on a stick like a Freebirds burrito for my buddy Frank, I convinced him to help me pull the motor.  Good thing.  I needed an extra pair of hands.  So long story short, engine is out and hanging on the hoist, soaking with degreaser and about to get a bath.  So is the transmission.  All that remains to remove now is the cab.



So....activities to look for in the coming days/weeks/months/years -
Cleaning, degunking, and painting of the engine/bellhousing/transmission
Removal of the cab
Replacement of the rear main seal
Cleaning/ospho/painting of the frame

Oh, did I mentioned that barring any unforseen uprisings, we will be moving by the end of the coming month?  Oh yeah.  So more on that later.  Short story is, I will have my own, very large, accomodating, and beautiful workshop.  Hehehehe.  Best.Christmas.Ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment