Follow the restoration of a 1949 3800 Chevrolet Dual Rear Wheel Flatbed Truck.
Pictures located at http://s422.photobucket.com/home/jongersbach

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Engine cleaning continues

So after a laundry list of activities today, I finally had the opportunity to start working on the engine about 10pm tonight.  Started out by first scrubbing the oil pickup screen free of debris and gunk.  Next, I scrubbed the oil pan from the same gunk amassed in the pickup screen.  Then I decided that I would go ahead and tackle the albatross that I have been avoiding since removing the engine from the truck....replacing the rear main seal.  Not necessarily the seal itself, rather, the fact that I have to disrupt the main bearings to offer enough clearance to install the top seal.




Ironically, it had not leaked a drop.  Then I started cleaning, and I upset it.  However, upon further inspection, it became evident that the motor did not even have a rear main seal in it?!?!?!  How was motor oil not pouring out of the rear end of this engine?  At any rate, I had no pattern to follow, no previous spot.  The service manual was of little help.  At any rate, I finally got it installed, and everything went back together handsomely.

I'll just get to wait and see if it decides to leak.  Methinks I'll wait until I get it reassembled, but before I set it back in the truck to make sure it does not leak.  Other than that, its time for bed now.  Happy Mothers' Day all.  g'nite.

No comments:

Post a Comment