Follow the restoration of a 1949 3800 Chevrolet Dual Rear Wheel Flatbed Truck.
Pictures located at http://s422.photobucket.com/home/jongersbach

Saturday, November 3, 2018

Frame blasted and primered

Sometimes, it's all about timing.  I waited for over 2 months for the perfect timing.  No pressing work apppointments, the right weather, time to complete both the sandblasting and priming in one day when the weather was right.  High humidity is a killer for sandblasting they say.  Our humidity is rarely below 60% until we start getting cold fronts in the winter.  Unless the front comes with rain.  At any rate...today was the perfect scenario...Low humidity, some free time from work, free stretch of time from 11 till 6.  sunshine, moderate winds, low humidity.  So I filled up the sandblaster, and decided to pull the trigger. 

Blasted the frame.  Took longer than expected but I think I have the operation and settings down on this new sandblaster.  Bought it from a friend.  I borrowed it and enjoyed having it so much I asked if he would sell it.  Said, make me an offer, so I shot him a number, and after some (not much) haggling I now own a great sandblaster. 

I was surprised that it didn't take as much sand as I anticipated.  Quite honestly, a lot less.  I bought 15 bags of blast sand.  After the entire frame, and several other smaller projects, I still have 8 bags left.  Cleaned off the sand and hit it with the epoxy primer.  It took exactly 2 quarts to cover the frame and axles with two full wet coats across it.  Tomorrow I plan to give the crossmembers a test shot of some chassis paint that I bought a while back.  When I cracked the lid today it seemed really really thin.  So I'm not sure how it will run.  I just know I have 72 hours to topcoat the epoxy before I have to scuff it. 

All in all, Very productive and outcome was pretty top end.  Next, put the engine in the frame and make a true roller.  Till next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment