Follow the restoration of a 1949 3800 Chevrolet Dual Rear Wheel Flatbed Truck.
Pictures located at http://s422.photobucket.com/home/jongersbach

Monday, April 14, 2014

Seperation of Cab and Frame

Progress is being made.  The cab is completely stripped of components and this weekend I got the cab lifted off of the frame and onto the cab dolly.  This was done with the help of a good buddy who dropped by.  We discovered three things - We aren't as stout as we used to be.  It's not super heavy but awkward, and I'm going to need to recruit more help to set it back on following paint.  Sure would be a shame to get it all repaired and shiny and put a scratch on it while putting it back on the frame. 

Once the cab was freed and on the dolly, I can now roll it around in the shop to work on it.  Since it will be a while before I get to the frame, I went ahead and pulled it around to the back of the shop.

The frame will need to have the rear end third member swapped out to gain my 4.10 gears.  Then just a little replacement of seals on the tie rod ends and spring/shock bushings.  Then I will spend some time with a power washer and wire cup on the grinder getting all the gunk and rust off the frame.  When it is clean, I'll lay a couple coats of epoxy primer on the frame and then a couple of coats of chassis paint. 

In the meantime, I am going to get a few items prepared for sandblasting and powdercoating such as the wheels and the running boards.  Hopefully the powdercoat will be a more durable coating for the parts that will get more abuse than some of the other components.  Never had 3 piece rims powdercoated before.  My hope is that I can get the wheels powdered up, then mounted up, and never have to dismount them.  Tires will be the most expensive expenditure for the truck.  A very good reason why I would never own a dually as a daily driver.  Those two extra tires are just that much more expensive. 

My next step will be to start replacing rusted panels and popping out big dents.  Then paint removal by sanding and sandblasting in areas where I cannot fully sand or there is rust beginning to form (more than just surface rust) then two coats of SPI epoxy.  Then the filler to get it all slicked up and ready for paint.  This will likely take a long time working on it for an hour or two at a lick.  Fortunately I'm not on a deadline so I can take my time.  It is supposed to be a hobby.  If I go too fast, then I'll be down one project and feel inclined to find another one. 

Here is a picture of the cab on the dolly ready for bodywork:

No comments:

Post a Comment