Follow the restoration of a 1949 3800 Chevrolet Dual Rear Wheel Flatbed Truck.
Pictures located at http://s422.photobucket.com/home/jongersbach

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Gas Tank Straps

Work on the truck has slowed because work has been busy and weather has been terrible.  I worked on the bed and frame a little last week in the "grauple".  Didn't know such a thing existed.  I just thought it was sleet.  I think they make this stuff up as they go.

But in other news, I was looking at having to buy new gas tank straps because one of mine is cut.  Some jughead wouldn't wait to put penetrating oil on the bolt, so they just cut the strap.  Replacement straps are over $100, only sold in pairs.

Was hunting in Home Depot yesterday for something else and ran across this little gem.  Used to secure trailer houses to the ground.  It has a loop on one end just like the original strap, is the same width, and just needs to be cut to length and have the bolt from the original attached, either with rivets or screws.  and for a whopping $5!


No it isn't original, and it may not work, but for less than a Lincoln, I'm willing to give it a shot.

Other than that, I've been slowly working on removing the original hardware from the old bed to prepare for re-installation on the new bed.  Been slow.  I am going to have to take most of it off using a sawzall and a demo bit I think.  Bolts are very eroded.  I'm not bloodying my knuckles and wasting my time trying to get them undone.  Just zip and go.

Seed is slowly moving out of the shop, so I hope to have the cab back inside within the next 30 days.  I'll at least have one bay clear and I can put the cab in there.  I still have a lot of work to do on it before it is ready for paint.  A lot.of.work!

No comments:

Post a Comment