Follow the restoration of a 1949 3800 Chevrolet Dual Rear Wheel Flatbed Truck.
Pictures located at http://s422.photobucket.com/home/jongersbach

Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Wanting to go, unable to do much

Well, as mentioned in the last post, we are at an all stop....Seed is in the shop, taking up all usable indoor work space.  My cab is currently sitting outside getting jockeyed between here and there, trying to stay out of the weather.  I need to pick up some more blasting sand and epoxy primer, but I don't want to do much until I have space to really hammer down, so for the moment, it sits. 

I've been making plans, sourcing material, and preparing to start rebuilding the wood flatbed.  My local lumberyard has everything that I will need, just have to give them time to get it in.  At a quandary as to whether to build the bed on the frame before, or after the cab is ready to install.  I'm thinking it may be easier, and more time effective to go ahead and build it and drop the cab on after its complete.  Trying to decide on finishes.  I'm certain that my aftermarket (or possibly originally home built) bed didn't match the original color.  So I'm trying to determine what color scheme to go with.  Obviously, it was originally black.  but what sheen???  I'm tossing around the wood and metal straps all in semi-gloss, all in gloss, or gloss for the metal components, semi-gloss for the wood.  Going to have to mock some stuff up, determine what will look best initially, and what will wear the best. 

I still have a few brake components to finish installing.  A few brake lines, emergency brake cables, a brake shoe that has to get re-lined, little nit-picky items. 

Once I am closer to getting space freed up I have a ton of work to do.  I need to finish sandblasting the interior of the cab, the underside, the roof.  Epoxy prime and undercoat the underside of the cab.  I still have some body work to tackle such as welding in cab corners, a cowl panel, and a portion of the drip edge.  Once these parts are installed, and the big dents are knocked out, it will be time to start laying on the filler.  Trying to make it as smooth as silk. 

I still need to sandblast the doors and get them ready to prime/paint.  I will be replacing all the glass.  I know they didn't come from the factory with tint, but in Texas, I need the tint.  Not going for a concourse restoration, but as close as I can.  But I think I'm gonna need some level of tint to make it bearable to drive 6 months out of the year.  Especially with no A/C.  And vinyl seats. 

So basically, I'm making list after list of to-do's while I wait for opportunity to get going when the time is right.  Obtaining parts and being ready to roll when I can.  I'm also re-evaluating whether or not I am going to stick with the black fenders or go all maroon on the exterior color.  Still leaning toward black fenders, but thinking one color may keep it cleaner.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment