Follow the restoration of a 1949 3800 Chevrolet Dual Rear Wheel Flatbed Truck.
Pictures located at http://s422.photobucket.com/home/jongersbach

Monday, April 23, 2018

Making progress

Well, since the last post, there have been some significant strides made in the bodywork area.  I have knocked all but the dents in the roof back to a manageable level thanks to the addition of a slide hammer to my tool arsenal.  I have also started to do some patch panel replacement.  I have found that sheet metal welding is tougher than they make it look on TV!  my welds look terrible.  But that is why I bought a grinder.  I'm cutting my teeth on interior replacement that will likely be covered by floor mats and will be inconspicuous when complete.  But I still shudder to think someone will see the gnarly welds and say "damn, does he even know how to weld?"  Moving the ground clamp over to a magnet ground has helped.  I guess current doesn't flow well through rusty seams throughout the cab. 

Also managed to free the sticking brake drum that was keeping it from moving freely.  The parking brake cable (set for replacement) was seized in the locked position and after some persuasion and cussing, I managed to release.  Thankfully I was planning on replacing these components anyway.  I keep thinking, I'm ready to sandblast and paint the frame any day now, but then I find something new to remove and it looks further and further away.  Closer than before though. 

Fenders have been sent off to a friend to work his magic and hopefully will be salvageable.  As far as sheet metal replacement on the cab, I just need one good day (or night) to finish up and I think I'll be ready to start laying down some epoxy on it.  Then move on to the body filler and prep for (eek!) paint!

I have set my timeline to be road-ready by my 40th birthday, which will be May 2, 2019.  Should be able to meet that goal.  Albeit, I am hip-pocketing the restoration and funds will be a large driver of that timeline.  Add to that, I'm trying to do it all by myself, so time also becomes and issue.  But its still cheaper than therapy.  Loving every minute!

No comments:

Post a Comment